Military Experience and the Arts
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
AS YOU WERE: THE MILITARY REVIEW is a biannual, digital magazine that is published every Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
It is published by Military Experience and the Arts (MEA) a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose primary mission is to work with veterans, their families, and civilians to publish military-themed creative prose, poetry, and artwork in our digital periodicals. Our editors are both civilian and military and are based all over. They include college professors, published authors, veterans’ advocates, and clinicians. As such our services are provided through email and online writing workshops. All editing, consultations, and workshops are free of charge.
You have a couple of options when submitting a piece to us, either of which will allow you to be considered for publication in one of our volumes:
- If you are willing to revise your story or poem, one of our staff will provide you with one-on-one consultation as you work through several drafts. The editors assigned to you are professional writers, educators, and published authors who have volunteered to help veterans learn the craft of writing. MEA’s primary mission is to help veterans and family members build their skills in creative expression, and we strongly encourage you to take us up on our offer.
- We also understand that not everyone is willing to revise their work for one reason or another, and would just like to have their piece considered for publication. We give you the option of having our editors consider your submission for publication on the basis of simple acceptance or rejection.
- Each period, you can submit one nonfiction story and one fiction story and three poems. In other words, one for each genre.
- Fiction and nonfiction stories must be 3,500 words or less
- We will not consider previously published works, even if it is self-published
- We will consider simultaneous submissions, just make note of it in the submission form. We would prefer that pieces submitted elsewhere be considered on an accept/decline basis.
- First-time writers with us must be prioritized for editing. If you've been edited by us for previous editions, we will likely work with first-time writers first, then circle back to you if we're able to. (We want everyone to have a chance to be edited)
- Double-spaced, Times New Roman is preferred. For artwork, please include all of the information prompted on the submissions form for that genre
- For artwork, please include all of the information prompted on the submissions form for that genre.
- In the past we have tried to workshop everything that’s been submitted. The average number of submissions received each period has increased well beyond our capacity, however. Beginning July 2020, we will be implementing a submissions cap per each genre that applies to those pieces seeking editorial guidance. It will be commensurate with editorial staffing in a given submission period. This will ensure that those writers with whom we can work will receive quality mentoring. We will work with as many writers as we can, but we will not be able to work with everyone. Thank you for your understanding.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Editor-in-Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHEDULE FOR SUBMISSION PERIODS
Fiction - Open January 15, 2024 to January 30, 2024
Nonfiction - Open January 15, 2024 to January 30, 2024
Poetry - To be determined
Artwork - Open January 15, 2024 to January 30, 2024