AS YOU WERE: THE MILITARY REVIEW is a biannual, digital magazine that is published every Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
It is published by Military Experience and the Arts (MEA) a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose primary mission is to work with veterans, their families, and civilians to publish military-themed creative prose, poetry, and artwork in our digital periodicals. Our volunteer editors are both civilian and military and are based all over. They include college professors, published authors, veterans’ advocates, and clinicians. As such, most of our services are provided through email and online writing workshops. All editing, consultations, and workshops are free of charge.
You have a couple of options when submitting a piece to us, either of which will allow you to be considered for publication in one of our volumes:
- If you are willing to revise your story or poem, one of our staff will provide you with one-on-one consultation as you work through several drafts. The editors assigned to you are professional writers, educators, and published authors who have volunteered to help veterans learn the craft of writing. MEA’s primary mission is to help veterans and family members build their skills in creative expression, and we strongly encourage you to take us up on our offer.
- We also understand that not everyone is willing to revise their work for one reason or another, and would just like to have their piece considered for publication. We give you the option of having our editors consider your submission for publication on the basis of simple acceptance or rejection.
- Each period, you can submit one nonfiction story and one fiction story and three poems. In other words, one for each genre
- Fiction and nonfiction stories must be 5,000 words or less
- We will not consider previously published works, even if it is self-published
- We will consider simultaneous submissions, just make note of it in the submission form. We would prefer that pieces submitted elsewhere be considered on an accept/decline basis.
- First-time writers with us must be prioritized for editing. If you've been edited by us for previous editions, we will likely work with first-time writers first, then circle back to you if we're able to. (We want everyone to have a chance to be edited)
- Double-spaced, Times New Roman is preferred.
- For artwork, please include all of the information prompted on the submissions form for that genre
If you have any questions, please feel free to email the Editor-in-Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHEDULE FOR SUBMISSION PERIODS
Fiction - 1 January 2019 to 1 February 2019 and 1 July 2019 to 1 August 2019
Non-fiction - 1 January 2019 to 1 February 2019 and 1 July 2019 to 1 August 2019
Poetry - 1 July 2019 to 1 August 2019
Artwork - Continuously open
Non-fiction and fiction have two submission periods per year, consisting of the months February and July. Poetry tentatively has the same, but the volume of submissions requires us to curtail it to one of those periods a year sometimes. Please visit www.militaryexperience.org/submissions for more information.
In addition to publication in an anthology your work will be considered for publication in the MEA online art gallery.
To be considered, artists must submit high resolution image files (please submit the highest resolution that you can and ensure that it is free from glare) of each work of art. In addition, a .doc or .docx file should be submitted alongside these images with the following information as it pertains to each work:
1. Title of the work(s)
2. Name of the artist(s)
3. Size of the work(s)
4. Medium of the work(s)
5. Two to four sentences about the inspiration behind the piece or its meaning. Your words about the piece you are submitting are important.
In your .doc or .docx file please pair the above information with the images themselves, but also include high res images as separate files.
By submitting your work here you are agreeing to MEA's Copyright and Privacy stipulations located online at http://militaryexperience.org/copyright-and-privacy/